A mulch is a layer of material applied to the surface of soil. Reasons for applying mulch include conservation of soil moisture, improving fertility. and health of the soil, reducing weed growth and enhancing the visual appeal of the area.
A mulch is usually, but not exclusively, organic in nature. It may be permanent (e.g. plastic sheeting) or temporary (e.g Bark chips)It may be applied to bare soil or around existing plants. Mulches of manure or compost will be incorporated naturally into the soil by the activity of worms and other organisms. The process is used both in commercial crop production and in gardening, and when applied correctly, can improve soil productivity.
Living mulches include moss lawns and other ground covers.
Benefits of Mulching
Reduces weed growth by keeping light from reaching the soil surface.
Reduces water loss from the soil surface, which helps maintain soil moisture.
Moderates soil temperatures, keeping it warmer on cold nights and cooler on hot days.
Protects bare soil, reducing erosion and soil compaction.
Mulch films are used to modify soil temperature, limit weed growth, prevent moisture loss, and improve crop yield as well as precocity
The use of plastic mulches along with the use of drip irrigation has many benefits such as:
Soil moisture retention.
Reduction in the leaching of fertilizer.
Improved crop quality.
Reduction in soil compaction.
Reduction in root damage.
1) Mulching sheet
3 feets × 400 feets
1 Hector 15 roles required .
Discrprition : Avoid labour problem.
2) Increase crop output ,
3) Reduce the water consumption etc.
1) Enhanced crop yield, quality and quantity
2) Fast crop development and early harvest.
3) Water erosion is complete averted.
4) Maintains Soil structure.
5) Prevent direct evaporation of moisture from the soil.
6) Protects roots from climatic extremes
7) Protect against leaching of fertilizers
8) Excellent weed control by blocking the sunlight. .
9)Repels insects due to its reflecting property.
10) Mulching adjusts the soil temperatures in winter and hot summer seasons. .
11)Mulch is used to add organic matter i soil nutrients through the gradual breakdown of the mulching materials used. .
12) Some live mulching material help in nitrogen fixing in the soil. .
13) Mulch helps in controlling the soil erosion.
14) Helps in water conversation.